Friday, January 28, 2011
Health hazard of CFL bulbs
CFL bulbs are as safe as incandescent bulbs unless the bulb is not broken. Once it is broken it has to be handled with great care. Never throw it in the trash. It has to be recycled.
CFL contains a neurotoxin called mercury (5 mg) in vapor form for its operation. It is this mercury vapor which causes health problems.
Environment Protection Agency of USA has issued a set of instructions as to how to Clean up a broken CFL. Here is a summarized version:
1. Have people and pets leave the room.
2. Open windows/doors for 5-10 minutes.
3. Collect broken glass and visible powder to a sealable container.
4. Place the container outside and dispose properly.
5. If practical, keep the windows/doors opened for several hours
Cleaning Up a Broken CFL
image copyright - howstuffworks.com